Take It With a (White) Grain of Salt
Scrap the Atkins, Raw Food or Paleo Diets, we love the White Teeth Diet. We'd like to share with you how you can eat your self to a whiter smile.
When considering a diet that is friendly to keeping your teeth white, it is just as important to avoid certain foods as it is to eat others. It's a little crazy but if you want to maintain that healthy white smile you were born with, or paid for, a few simple practices can help you out. There are three factors to keep in mind on this diet, chewing, saliva production and staining They all help to keep teeth healthy and white. Please keep in mind this isn't a whole diet you should live by, it's just a few simple steps you can take to keep teeth white. Let's start:
Do The More Often:
- Apples, carrots, cauliflower, green beans and celery. These are the firmer, crunchier foods that require you to chew more. They act similarly to a toothbrush and scrub your teeth while you chew.
- Hard cheeses. Similar to crunchy fruit and veg, they help clean the teeth by removing particles and preventing plaque build-up.
- Citrus fruits like grapefruit, lime, lemon and oranges help rinse your teeth naturally while you eat, encouraging saliva production which protects the teeth.
- Dairy products of course contribute to keeping teeth white. The lactic acid in dairy products will also help to prevent decay.
- Water. The purest way to wash away any foods that potentially stain your teeth.
Do These Less Often:
- Coffee and tea will stain your teeth.
- Soft drink such as Coke and sports drinks will stain your teeth and cause decay.
- Red wine is one of the worst for staining your teeth. That red wine smile isn't so cute either.
- White wine causes tooth decay. Just like red wine, white wine has higher than normal pH levels which increases your loss of enamel.
- Fruits like blackberries, pomegranates and blueberries will obviously stain the teeth.
- Sauces like soy or currie will also stain the teeth and aid decay.
- Hot Tip 1. Anything that stains your shirt will stain your teeth.
- Hot Tip 2. If you can't give up your coloured drinks, use a straw.
At The #EmergencyDentist Sydney we couldn't live without wine! #AfterHours of course. Some of us even drink our coffee through a straw, yes it's as weird as it looks. But, drinking in moderation, properly brushing and flossing and regular check-ups will keep your teeth healthy and strong.
The #EmergencyDentist Says:
For those of us who aren't lucky enough to be born with a pearly white smile, and for those who love a diet full of teeth-staining foods and drink, a regular clean or whitening from us can help you out.